The Poe-Tell

Justin, Tiffany, Lucy Anne, and Uncle Buck (the only pet we have mounted in our room overlooking our bed)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, October 01, 2005

My Favorite Time of Day

This post is inspired by my friend Alyssa's post on her blog.

My favorite time of day is Lucy Anne's bedtime! And, no, it's not because she's about to go to bed. I love it because of her bedtime routine. I love it that she calls it "night-night time" already, too. Justin and I are habitual in getting her ready for bed, and I never want to put her to bed without our time together. For instance, the day she goes to college will be her first time to experience "night-night time" any differently. At least, that's the way her I see it.

Here's why I love it. . . First, I change her diaper and put her "jammies" on. Justin brushes her teeth (and has taught her to spit)! He brings her to me to sing to her two songs in her chair. I sing "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" (she sings a solo on the Amen part, steals my heart every time - it is angelic, in her soprano voice) and "Night-Night Lucy". "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" has kind of become a theme for us, and I hope she grows up knowing and cherishing that verse and song. By the way, we cuddle each other (another favorite part) with her *blanket (see below) and pink Bible in hand. When we're finished she usually yells to Daddy "I'm ready!" Then Daddy comes in and we say our prayers together as a family. I give kisses and hugs and Daddy takes over with memory verses and Bible stories. The memory verses are hilarious and so sweet. Justin says the words and she repeats them. Right now, she is learning Genesis 1:1 and Romans 8:1 (cracks me up that Justin chose this one - I don't even know that I grasp this one totally). But, it is funny to hear her say the word "condemnation". Finally, she is put in bed, usually, without a sound. We have done this, although Justin has added the story time as she's become older, since the day she was born. I wish there were a way to pause time. Like Mary, Jesus' mother, I ponder this time in my heart.

*The Blanket Thing - Lucy Anne has only, always slept with a pink crocheted blanket that was given as a gift. She's never really seemed to be overly attached to it. She's just always had it at night and at nap times. However, when school started (there are some kids who have blankies in her class), she started wandering around the house with the tea towel off the stove saying "my blankie". So, rather than her walking around with the tea towel (yuck), I gave her a blanket that MY memaw -Lucy (Lucy Anne's name-sake) had partially sewn for my child before she passed away. My memaw died when I was 8. This blanket is also a replica of the same one I had when I was little. Lucy Anne is completely attached to it! She would carry it everywhere if I let her. Isn't that special?! Again, I cherish these things (in my heart and on my blog).

1 Comments:

Blogger mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh, I just love this post. You and Justin are such sweet parents are are obviously being very diligent about teaching and guiding little Lucy. Such precious times!

And, I cannot wait to hear her say "condemnation". And, here I was thinking it was cool that she said "Chelsea". I had no idea what she was capable of!!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home