The Poe-Tell

Justin, Tiffany, Lucy Anne, and Uncle Buck (the only pet we have mounted in our room overlooking our bed)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Psalm 37

The morning after I learned from TV about the VTech tragedy, I read my Bible. As usual, in searching for some encouraging, comforting words from God, I turned to Psalms, just asking for Him to speak. This is what He said (it was just opening to this page):

Psalm 37

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret-it leads only to evil.
For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.

(skipping to v.39)
The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord helps them and delivers them;
He delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in Him.

Also another time this week in Bible study I read this:
Isaiah 40:11, 28-31

"He tends His flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in His arms
and carries them close to His heart;
He gently leads those that have young.

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

And my personal favorite as a result of the tragic deaths of three of my friends in high school:
Romans 8:28

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

My prayers for those effected in the community of this tragedy is that they be visited and blessed by the Comforter! And in knowing what it feels like to be bombarded by the media after a tragedy, though not as large as this one, I pray for their private healing and allowing their bonds to strengthen them from within the community. I pray the press would be wise and compassionate in how they decide to continue to publicize this event.

4 Comments:

Blogger Candice said...

Thank you, Tiff, for that encouragement. It is so easy to be overcome by fear in this world. Fear has been a struggle for me this week...especially lying in my bed at night. I prayed this morning that the Lord would encourage me and give me His peace today. He used you to provide some of that. Thank you for loving the Lord and His Word. (I love the psalms and how they seem to know the language of our hearts.)

So good to see you back in blog world. What precious girls you have.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Tiffany, Hi! It's been a long time and I miss you.

Our God must be so proud of you for finding refuge and comfort in His word. Thank you for sharing those verses.

I also enjoyed looking back at the posts about your beautiful children...the way Ella misses Lucy Anne....that is just so sweet.

Take care.

5:37 PM  
Blogger lauren said...

Hey Tiffany! I don't know if you'll get this, but I have to tell you how weird this is! Recently, Josh and I were sitting on the couch with the Bible about to do a little "devo" together. I said, "I'm just going to let the Lord take us somewhere." So I started flipping through with my eyes closed, came to a page, put my finger down, and I was pointing exactly to Psalm 37. We both thought that was a great one. I haven't stopped by your blog in a while, and decided to see if you'd updated tonight, and found this! I wonder if God leads a lot of people to that scripture!

I hope all is well with y'all. I've made my blog private, but if you'd like an invite, email me at lauren.satterfield@gmail.com.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Tiffany! I was thinking about your family and decided I should "google" you. And here you are. Your daughters are simply beautiful. I read a few posts and it sounds as if you and Justin are very happy. That makes me happy.

~Sara Blakeslee

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home